Delegation - KPMG Enterprise
KPMG Partner Naphtali provided the Financial Sustainability & Audit Committee and, Council with an overview of the 2021 Audit of City Financial records for the year ending December 31, 2021, which included the Auditor Report, Consolidated Financial Statements and Surplus and Reserves.
The City received a clean Auditor Report and, Council approved the April 26, 2022 Financial Sustainability and Audit Committee meeting recommendation approving the City of Quesnel 2021 Financial Statements.
2024 BC Winter Games Committee - President & Vice President
Mayor Simpson introduced Brian Balkwill, President and Brenda Beatty, Vice President of the 2024 BC Winter Games Committee. Next steps will include ratification of the appointment by co-host Lhtako Dene Nation and recruitment of 14 Committee Directors.
Development Services Update
- 668 Doherty Drive Official Community Plan and Zoning Amendment Proposal - At the March 15th Council meeting, Council required the proponents of the development OCP/Rz2021-36 to hold a public information session on their proposed development, prior to the May 3rd Public Hearing. Notices were issued to residents and property owners within 100m of the property, posted in the newspaper and posted on the subject building on the development notice sign. The information session was held at City Hall on April 19, 2022.
- Davie Street and North Fraser Drive Landing Revitalization Projects - In February staff reported that L&M were the success consultants commissioned to lead the Davie Street and North Fraser Drive Landing Revitalization Projects. Through February and March, the consultants completed initial consultation including engaging with stakeholders, utilizing Let’s Connect Quesnel, and a resident survey. Please see the following links for more information on these initiatives and to identify ways to participate in this community development exercise.
City of Quesnel Strategic Plan (2022-2026)
Council approved the 2022-2026 Strategic Plan, which outlined the following areas; Housing Initiatives, Community Development, Community Health & Safety, Environmental Leadership, Governance, Infrastructure Reinvestment, Economic Development & Transition Planning, Forestry Initiatives.
Council approved application to Northern Development Initiative Trust Capital Investment Analysis grant stream for a feasibility study to purchase and renovate a building for a downtown art gallery and dedicated mixed-media makerspace studio.
Council approved the following:
- Billy Barker Days Gold Dust Mall - The Quesnel Downtown Association requested closure of Reid Street from Carson Street to St. Laurent Avenue, leaving access to the highway open on Barlow Avenue. The closure will start at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 14 and run through 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 17.
- A letter of support for the District of Wells application to Northern Development Initiative Trust Special Circumstances grant for $20,000 to secure a consultant to prepare a Highway 26 power line options report.
- 1924 - City of Quesnel Financial Plan Bylaw No. 1924 of 2022 (2022-2026) - First, Second and Third Readings
- 1925 - City of Quesnel Tax Rates Bylaw No. 1925 of 2022 - First, Second and Third Readings
Council Highlights provide a summary of business conducted by Council at Regular Council meetings. Contact: Rhya Hartley, Deputy Corporate Administrator at 250-991-7471.