The following projects will not typically require a building permit:
- Shed or storage building smaller than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) in area
- Sundeck (i.e. no roof) that is less than 600 mm (24”) above ground level nor fastened to the house
- Roofing (shingles); siding; and landscaping
- Plumbing fixture replacements provided it is the same fixture in the same location, such as a sink, toilet, hot water tank, shower, or tub
- Retaining wall less than 1.2 m (4’) in height
We highly recommend that you contact the Building Department regarding your project if you are unsure if you need a permit. There are zoning considerations, such as setbacks and building height, even when a building permit is not required. For more information contact the Building Department at 250-992-2111 or email@example.com.
For large or complex projects, a pre-application meeting is recommended. At the meeting, the planning, building, and other associated departments can provide detailed guidance as you prepare your application package. To book your pre-application meeting contact the Building Department at 250-992-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most development in the west end of the City will require a Geotechnical Report to accompany an application. This report is to be prepared by a registered professional who specializes in the geotechnical area. There are other areas within the City limits which also require a Geotechnical Report for landslide stability: it is best to consult with the Development Services team at the City to verify if a report is required. Learn more on the Land Hazards page.