Protection of private property

Land erosion

Properties bordering streams, rivers or hilltop cliffs may be subject to land loss from erosion. This occurs from natural land movement due to things such as stream flows or landslides.  

Municipalities may take protective work actions to protect municipal infrastructure such as roads and utilities, but do not complete such works to protect private property from erosion. 

What can you do to protect your property from land erosion?

Property owners do have the right to consider protective works on their property but these works can be preventatively expensive. 

Properly engineered protective works require engineering and environmental considerations.  They also require long term maintenance and may be considered under the Dike Maintenance Act if they involve more than one property. Infrastructure of this magnitude can be requested as a Local Services Area.  Local Services city policy CF-8 has been developed to guide the process of applying for and obtaining approvals for local services area for such things as armouring along river/creek banks.  This is a full cost recovery process in which a local services area tax is established to regain the funds for the project.  For more details see the City of Quesnel Policies page. 

Financial assistance is not generally available for loss of land.  However it may be available for a structural repair or replacement of a principal residence under the Compensation and Disaster Financial Assistance Regulation if the province declares the disaster eligible for DFA funding. Additional information from the province on erosion matters may be found at:


The City of Quesnel is a Waterfront community with many natural waterways including Quesnel and Fraser Rivers, tributary Baker, Dragon, and Tatchell Creeks and the northern end of Dragon Lake.  Although we benefit from the natural features and recreational opportunities these waterways provide us with, we must also be sensitive to our land around them.

Although the City is prepared to respond to flooding, it’s the homeowner's responsibility to undertake practical temporary and permanent flood protection works to protect their home and property. Here are some steps you can take to help protect your home, property and family:

  • Create a household emergency plan, put together your grab-and-go bag, and connect with your neighbours
  • Move equipment and other assets to higher ground
  • Clear perimeter drains, eavestroughs and gutters. Maintain your sump pumps
  • Move electrical appliances to upper floors and make sure to anchor fuel supplies
  • Park vehicles away from streams and waterways

For information about river alerts and warnings, visit the River Forecast Centre website

Emergency Notification System

Residents are strongly encouraged to register for the Emergency Notification System to receive a text, call or email regarding Evacuation Alerts and Orders or other emergency updates.

Register now

Home / Our community / Emergency preparedness / Protection of private property