Every year, the City completes operational and capital budgets which are adopted by Council.
The Director of Corporate and Financial Services coordinates the City’s five-year Financial Plan process, analyzes department budget information, prepares non-departmental revenue estimates, assembles the budget document and provides overview, continues financial monitoring, and reports once the budget is adopted. The Director also assists department heads in identifying budget problems and formulating solutions.
- Departmental Staff Prepare Draft Budget – September/October
- Pre Budget Consultation – November
- Finance Staff Review Departmental Draft Budgets - November
- Senior Management Review Draft Budget – November
- Financial Sustainability and Audit Committee Reviews and makes Recommendations on various budget components to Council
- Present Draft Capital Budget to Council – January
- Present Draft Operating Budget to Council – February
- Proposed Five Year Financial Plan Review Five Year Financial Plan and Policies – March/April
- Council Sets Final Tax Rates – must be adopted in May
The City of Quesnel completes a five-year financial plan, which is updated every year, to ensure responsible money management that relates directly to the priorities identified by the community.