Every year, the City completes operational and capital budgets which are adopted by Council.
The Director of Corporate and Financial Services coordinates the City’s five-year Financial Plan process, analyzes department budget information, prepares non-departmental revenue estimates, assembles the budget document and provides overview, continues financial monitoring, and reports once the budget is adopted. The Director also assists department heads in identifying budget problems and formulating solutions.
The City follows this budget schedule every year. See where in the process the City is right now!
September - October
- Departmental staff prepare draft budgets
November - December
- Pre-budget public consultation
- Finance staff review departmental draft budgets
- Senior management review draft budgets
- Financial Sustainability and Audit Committee reviews and makes Recommendations on various budget components to Council
- Present draft capital budget to Council
- Present draft operating budget to Council
March - April
- Review five year financial plan and policies
- Council sets final tax rates