Hours of operation
Tuesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sunday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Closed all statutory holidays except Boxing Day.
Closed at 4:30 pm on December 24 and 31.
830 Carson Pit Road
Public Works Department - General Office
The Quesnel Municipal Landfill collects tipping fees based on waste type and weight in order to offset the site's maintenance and operational costs.
The landfill accepts payment by cash, debit card, and credit card.
For the latest long-term conceptual plans regarding the landfill site, please refer to the 2019 Quesnel Landfill Strategic Plan Summary.
The following types of waste are not permitted to enter the landfill at any time:
- Oil - Please take your used oil to Co-op or Jepson Petroleum
- Rubber Tires - Please return your used tires to your tire dealer
- Commercial Scrap Metal (e.g. farm implements)
- Cattle - all parts and products (Specified Risk Material per CFIA)
- Euthanized Animal Carcasses
- Medical Waste
- Liquid Wastes or Sludges - including sewage and septage
- Hazardous Waste - as defined by the Ministry of Environment
- Materials that are on fire or above a temperature of 66 degrees Celsius (150 degrees Fahrenheit)
Propane Tanks - Please take all refillable and disposable propane tanks and bottles to Cariboo Propane
The following types of waste require special disposal procedures at the landfill:
- Asbestos - Please contact the Public Works Department.
- Animal Carcasses - Please contact the Public Works Department.
- Gypsum (drywall) - Small quantities only. Report to the scale attendant for instruction.
- Rock and Concrete - Report to the scale attendant for instruction.
- Ashes - Place ashes in the black metal bin to the left of the green garbage bins.
- Trailer Shells and Campers - Campers must be stripped of appliances and drained of fluids before arriving at the landfill. As these shells are landfilled with household garbage, please remove as many recyclable materials from your camper as possible. Report to the scale attendant for instruction.
- Wrecked Vehicles - All wrecked vehicles must be drained of oil, coolant, and fuel before arriving at the landfill and rubber tires must be removed and taken to your tire dealer. No boats or trailers are permitted in the metal recycling pile. Report to the scale attendant for inspection and instruction.
In addition to RecycleBC Program Materials accepted at the depot near the landfill, please take the following materials to the appropriate locations:
- Wood and Yard Waste - including lumber, pallets, branches, limbs, grass, and leaves: Please use the three green bins in the landfill diversion area at the end of Carson Pit Road. If you have a large quantity of wood, report to the scale attendant for instruction.
- Large Appliances - Please use the drop-off point in the landfill diversion area at the end of Carson Pit Road.
- Small Appliances - Please drop-off at the Quesnel Recycling Centre on Carson Pit Road.
- Small Scrap Metal - Please use the metal drop-off point in the landfill diversion area at the end of Carson Pit Road.
- Paint - Please read the PaintBC posters in the landfill diversion area to ensure your paint is accepted before placing containers on the pallets provided. All containers must have a lid.
- Batteries - Small used batteries (AAA, AA, 9V, C, D, etc.) are accepted at Canadian Tire or Staples for recycling. Automotive batteries may be brought to the battery drop-off in the landfill diversion area at the end of Carson Pit Rd. Please do not throw batteries in the trash as they can cause fires in the landfill.
- Electronics - Please take your used or broken electronics to B&G Bottle Depot downtown.