The City of Quesnel’s Forestry Initiatives Program has received the FireSmart Community Protection Achievement Award on behalf of the citizens of Quesnel and surrounding area. The award recognizes communities across Canada who are dedicated to reducing the risk of wildfire and who are using the FireSmart principles to increase public safety. This award represents all of our collective efforts within the City and the Cariboo Regional District to minimize the impacts of wildfire the community.
Since 2018, residents, businesses and neighbourhoods have been working to: clean up their yard waste, make landscaping choices that minimize fire risk, as well as, build, maintain and renovate using FireSmart principles and materials.
To date, 70 homes and buildings in Quesnel and surrounding area have been assessed for fire hazards to help property owners fortify their homes and neighbourhoods against wildfires. Additionally, 23 FireSmart rebates ($500 each) have been distributed to homeowners who have rolled up their sleeves and carried out their FireSmart recommendations.
We should be proud of our collective efforts since the devastating wildfires of 2017 and 2018, however FireSmart is a continuous improvement and maintenance process.
Help keep your property’s Fire Hazard score low with activities such as:
- Every spring, clean gutters and roofs by removing leaves, needles and other combustible materials
- Ensure woodpiles are at least 10 metres away from your house or outbuildings during fire season
- Choose fire-resistant vegetation, particularly in the area immediately around your home
- Keep grass short and green, especially within 10 metres of your home
- Remove dead and dying vegetation from your property
Small choices can make a BIG difference during wildfire season!
Image: Forestry Initiatives Manager, Erin Robinson, holding the FireSmart Community Protection Achievement Award. The award is displayed at the Forestry Innovation Centre, 210-410 Kinchant Street.
- For more on how to FireSmart your property, visit the Forestry Initiatives Program under “FireSmart For Home And Business Owners”.
- To access local resources email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 250-992-5833.
- Subscribe to the Forestry Initiatives Program email list to stay up-to-date on the latest news, events, and initiatives www.quesnel.ca/subscribe