Tingley House

View Map
1226
Tingley Road
Year: 
pre-1920s

Description
Tingley House is an attractive one-and-a-half storey wood frame house built prior to the 1920s that was relocated from Front Street via North Fraser Drive to the north side of Tingley Road in West Quesnel, BC. The historic place is confined to the building footprint.

Heritage Value
Tingley House is located in West Quesnel which developed as a rural community with small houses and family farms. The growth of West Quesnel was moderate until a single-lane bridge across the Fraser River was constructed in 1929. The bridge provided a permanent link between the two Quesnel communities. These communities were amalgamated into one city in 1958. In 1971, the two-lane Moffat Bridge was built and growth in West Quesnel increased steadily. Many houses of pioneering families have been moved to new locations in Quesnel as the community has experienced growth. While not in its original form or location, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.

The house is named for Ceal Tingley who was born in 1913. He arrived in Quesnel from the Queen Charlotte Islands with his pioneering parents, Freeman and Bertha (Litke) Tingley in 1920. The Tingley family were welcomed at the ferry by John A. Fraser. They built a log house on their small farm along Baker Creek in West Quesnel. The family lived there until Ceal’s father died. Ceal worked as a janitor in the school, farmed the family homestead, hauled wood to the mines and freight to work camps. In the 1950s, Ceal ran as a Conservative in the Provincial election. From 1970 to 1976, Ceal was the Mayor of Quesnel. The Tingley family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour. Ceal Tingley Memorial Park acknowledges the valuable role Ceal Tingley played in growth of the city.

Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements of Tingley House include:

  • a well-maintained one-and-a-half storey wood frame house;
  • a symmetrical façade with a covered entrance with pediment;
  • a window in the half storey;
  • decorative fretwork along the bracketed eaves;
  • wood clapboard siding and square form;
  • materials and details give the building a unique appearance and warm texture;
  • a steeply pitched gable roof;
  • projecting windows with bracket supports and wood trim on first storey;
  • two double six pane windows on façade.