St. John the Divine Anglican Church is a beautiful place of worship built in 1926 located on the west side of Kinchant Street in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
St. John the Divine Anglican Church is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. While not in its original form, the church is a physical reminder of the role of religion in the development of Quesnel. The legacy of Canon Brooke provided the funds to build the original Church, Clergy House, and girl’s boarding school. The school was later relocated to Front Street and is now the Quesnel Hotel.
The Church was the Mission centre in the Cariboo area. The Mission included three priests that arrived in Quesnel in 1911. The Canon and Archdeacon stayed with John and Mary Strand at the Cariboo Hotel. The priests stayed in the empty barn owned by the Shepherd family. The first service of the Anglican Church was held in the barn. The Church and Clergy House had a resident priest and traveling priests.
Reverend Elliott presided over the congregation from 1912 to 1921. He was also a medical doctor who assisted Dr. Baker and served on the Hospital Board. Reverend Elliott introduced scouting to Quesnel with two groups, the Eagles and the Beavers.
In 1926, the cornerstone was laid on the southwest corner of Kinchant Street and Shepherd Avenue and (Constable) David Anderson was hired to construct the new church building. On September 25, 1926 St. John the Divine Anglican Church was consecrated by Reverend Adams. The furnishings, reredos, and a portrait of Canon Brooke were saved from the fire and placed in this church.
The character-defining elements of St. John the Divine Anglican Church include:
- an element of interest to the streetscape;
- its construction, building materials, and simplicity of style;
- an octagonal bell-cast or "witch's hat" bell tower;
- wood framed building with decorative trim in the peak of the roof on its façade;
- a cross and a round decorative louvered vent on façade;
- an addition on the northern side of the building;
- the siting on a large lot at the crest of the hill adds to its prominence in the community;
- horizontally laid planks with wood cladding;
- a gable roof over a rectangular form.