St. Andrews United Church is a beautiful place of worship built in 1911 located at the northeast corner of Kinchant Street and Carson Avenue in Downtown Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
St. Andrews United Church is located in Downtown Quesnel which is the commercial and administrative center of the city. While not in its original form, the Church is a physical reminder of the role that religion played in the development of Quesnel. The Church was built by well- known contractor Harry Joyce in 1911.
Reverend William Stott presided over the congregation from 1910 to 1915. It was originally named St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in 1912. Many of Quesnel’s enterprising families were members and founders of the United Church. The McLean family donated the land that the Church occupies and provided a substantial portion of the funds required for its construction.
In 1913, the Church Manse was constructed behind the church facing Carson Avenue. The 600 pound bell for the church was purchased in 1914. The attached church hall was built on the Kinchant Street Side of the Church in 1951. Renovations were made in 1981 including the addition of support braces on the south wall and vinyl siding. A new Manse was built in 1961 on Walken Street and a second Manse was constructed on Roddie Avenue in 1969. St. Andrew’s United Church is the oldest non-residential building in Quesnel still operating as its original purpose.
The character-defining elements of the St. Andrews United Church include:
- an element of interest to the mostly commercial streetscape;
- a rare example of its style of building in Quesnel;
- a simple wood framed chapel has a gable roof and round headed windows;
- a steeply pitched façade on the north side of the main entrance;
- a simple pediment above the entrance;
- rounded Palladian-type windows;
- belfry with castle style roofline and 600 pound bell;
- a sympathetic addition of a hall to the northern end of the building in 1951.