Smith House is an excellent example of a single storey wood frame house built in the 1930s located on the southeast corner of Elliott Street and Earley Avenue in West Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Smith House is located in West Quesnel which developed as a rural community with small houses and family farms. The growth of West Quesnel was moderate until a single-lane bridge across the Fraser River was constructed in 1929. The bridge provided a permanent link between the two Quesnel communities. These communities were amalgamated into one city in 1958. In 1971, the two-lane Moffat Bridge was built and growth in West Quesnel increased steadily. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel. The house was constructed by contractor Thomas William Stennett and named for Mr. Smith. It relates well with its surroundings and contributes positively to the streetscape as part of a group of buildings of similar scale, style, and proportion.
The character-defining elements of Smith House include:
- an example of the typical small dwelling units built in Quesnel during the 1930s;
- it has maintained its original single storey L-shaped form and stucco exterior;
- features a covered porch;
- large picture windows on the façade;
- a basement was added in the 1960s;
- wood frame construction.