Pierce House is a large two storey wood frame house built in 1934 located on the east side Vaughan Street in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Pierce House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. Over the years, major renovations have occurred, however the house supports the other buildings on the street that have experienced change. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.
The house is named for Claude and Maude (Carson) Pierce who were married in 1933 and purchased this house in 1934. Claude came to Quesnel in the 1920s to work as a mechanic at the Ford garage. He owned and operated his own garage which later became International Truck. Claude was also the Deputy Chief with the Quesnel Volunteer Fire Department. Maude was the daughter of pioneers, Alfred and Mary Ann Carson. Maude’s family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour. She grew up in Quesnel and after completing school Maude worked for the telegraph office, was a Polling Clerk during elections, and worked for “Pop” Elliott in his tobacco store on Carson Avenue. In 1958, Claude died suddenly. Maude died in 1963. The Pierce family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour.
The character-defining elements of Pierce House include:
- wood frame two storey construction;
- rectangular shape;
- covered projecting entrance with spindle railing similar to other houses on the street;
- very few windows.