Description of Historic Place
Lazzarin House is a two storey wood frame house built in 1909 and moved from Kinchant Street in Downtown Quesnel to this location on the west side of Hoy Street in West Quesnel, BC. The historic place is confined to the building footprint.
Heritage Value of Historic Place
Lazzarin House is located in West Quesnel which developed as a rural community with small houses and family farms. The growth of West Quesnel was moderate until a single-lane bridge across the Fraser River was constructed in 1929. The bridge provided a permanent link between the two Quesnel communities. These communities were amalgamated into one city in 1958. In 1971, the two-lane Moffat Bridge was built and growth in West Quesnel increased steadily. Many houses of pioneering families have been moved to new locations in Quesnel as the community has experienced growth. Over the years, major renovations have occurred, however the house supports the other buildings on the street that have experienced change. While not in its original form or location, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.
The main floor of this house was built in 1909 by a local pioneer and contractor Stephen Lundy Hilborn. Stephen and his parents arrived in Quesnel from Ontario 1894. In the early 1900s the Hilborn family moved into Quesnel and lived in this house which was originally located on a small farm at the foot of Kinchant Street where it meets Highway 97 North and Carson Avenue. The Hilborn family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour.
The house is named for Giovanni Acasto Lazzarin Sr. and his wife Carlotta who purchased this house in 1918 and lived here for over fifty years. Giovanni was known locally as ‘John’. He and Carlotta were childhood sweethearts who came to Quesnel at different times from Italy. John was a blacksmith and maintained the Barnard Express Stage. The Barnard Express, known as the BX, began in 1864 by Francis Barnard to deliver mail, people and supplies. It was the longest single stage line on the continent. As travel technology improved, the express expanded to include steamboats which moved freight and people along the Fraser River. The Barnard Express ended when the Inland Express Company was awarded the mail contract.
In the early 1900s, John was the only person in town who could fix wagons, buggies, and ploughs. Harry Joyce built a workshop for John in 1919 which was the first shop in Quesnel to have electric lights. Carlotta was an enterprising businesswoman who was a well-respected seamstress and property owner. She saw a need for more rental accommodations in Quesnel as the city grew. Together the couple purchased and built several rental units. Carlotta and John became the landlords to many people seeking opportunity in Quesnel. John had the mail route to Barkerville and sold his repair shop to Johnston Brothers Motors in 1925. John was the Agent for Home Oil where he hauled products to the Cariboo Gold Quartz Mine and the Island Mountain Mine, as well as to customers in the area until he retired in 1956. Carlotta died at the age of 81 and John died at the age of 93. The Lazzarin family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour.
The character-defining elements of Lazzarin House include:
- the original 1909 house is the main floor of this structure which was cut into sections and moved across the Fraser River;
- wood frame construction.