Hill House

View Map
582
McLean Street
Year: 
1929

Description
Hill House is a delightful one-and-a-half storey wood frame house built in 1929 located on the southeast corner of McLean Street and McNaughton Avenue in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.

Heritage Value
Hill House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.

The house is named for Lynn and Aveline (Moffat) Hill who were married in 1922. Lynn was the son of pioneers, Frank and Mabel Hill. Aveline was the daughter of pioneers, Harry and Jeanie Moffat. The Moffat Bridge built in 1971 is named for Aveline’s family. Aveline was born at Lansdowne Farm in 1898 and attended school in Quesnel. Once she finished her education, Aveline worked as Charles Allison’s assistant in the post office when it was located in the Hudson’s Bay Company Building on Carson Avenue.

Together, Lynn and Aveline ran Hill’s Meat Market on Front Street for forty years. They also had a branch outlet in Wells from 1937 to 1969. In 1964, Aveline purchased the Hudson’s Bay Company Building on the corner of Carson Avenue and Front Street. She undertook a large restoration project on this historic landmark in Downtown Quesnel.

The local radio channel CKCQ aired Aveline’s editorial show ‘A Line from Aveline’ where she was outspoken on current affairs and politics. Lynn and Aveline retired from their meat shop business in the 1970s. The Moffat and Hill families are recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with streets named in their honour.

Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements of Hill House include:

  • an excellent example of heritage restoration;
  • materials give the building a unique appearance and warm texture;
  • a valuable architectural and historical asset to Quesnel;
  • a one-and-a-half storey wood frame building with many enchanting features;
  • shingle siding, interesting windows, dormers, and a brick chimney;
  • a covered entrance with pediment;
  • the siting on a large corner lot;
  • a sympathetic addition, garage and wood shed were built in 1936 that are compatible in design and materials, and a new fireplace and interior renovations 1961;
  • an interesting hooded door with fan-shape detail.