Harry Gardner House is a single storey wood frame house built in 1937 located atop a hill on the west side of McLean Street in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Harry Gardner House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.
The house is named for Harry Gardner. The house was built by pioneer Herbert Gardner for his son Harry and his daughter-in-law Emily (Booth) Gardner. Emily was the daughter of pioneers, Ralph and Joan Booth. Harry went to business school in Vancouver after graduating from high school in Quesnel. He managed a building supply company in the lower mainland. During WWII, Harry served overseas. When he returned to Quesnel after the war, Harry became a partner with Jack Ritson in a planer mill called Beaver Planing Mill which was the only planer mill in the Wells area. The company supplied all the lumber to the mines, stores, and homes.
The business prospered and grew to include warehouses. The Gardner men produced lumber for the local market as well as for export. They also owned the first wood kiln in the area. The lumber business expanded and, in 1956, the company purchased a freight truck to haul their own products between Vancouver, Williams Lake, and Quesnel. In 1960, the business expanded again and was renamed H. J. Gardner and Sons Building Supplies. The Gardner family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with streets named in their honour.
The character-defining elements of Harry Gardner House include:
- supports the overall character of the street;
- a one storey wood frame building typical of the small utilitarian style of houses built in Quesnel during the 1930s;
- a central chimney on a steeply pitched gable roof;
- a central entrance with pediment;
- a symmetrical façade with two large three-paned windows.