Boyd House is a pleasant one-and-a-half storey wood frame house built in the 1930s located on the east side of Vaughan Street in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Boyd House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. Over the years, major renovations have occurred, however the house supports the other buildings on the street that have experienced change. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel.
The house is named for Walter Boyd. Walter is the youngest son of pioneers, John and Janet Boyd, who owned the homestead and stopping point for stage coaches, ‘Cottonwood House’. Walter worked as an apprentice carpenter with Harry Joyce until 1915 when he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during WWI. Two of his brothers, Archie and Chester also enlisted but they were unfortunately killed in action while serving in France. When Walter returned to Quesnel he continued in the carpentry trade and built many houses in Quesnel. The Boyd family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour.
In 1945, Walter sold this house to William and Audrey Fawcett. William had a career in public service. He served in WWI and was wounded in duty. In 1926, William came to Canada from Ireland. He arrived in Quesnel in 1942 via Edmonton and Williams Lake and was involved in many community organizations. These included, serving four terms on the Village Commission and one term on the Hospital Board. For more than ten years, William was the Returning Officer for the district. William was also the Magistrate, District Coroner, and Civil Defence Coordinator. The Fawcett family is recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with a street named in their honour.
The character-defining elements of Boyd House include:
- a one-and-a-half single storey wood frame house with a large four pane dormer addition on the façade;
- an oversized three pane picture window and projecting entrance with pediment on the façade;
- a T-shaped form with an asymmetrical façade.