Aves House is a large one-and-a-half storey wood frame house built in 1940 located on a large southeast corner lot at McLean Street and Bowron Avenue in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Aves House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the people who shaped the development of Quesnel. The house was built by local contractors Harker and Pawsey.
The house is named for Edward and Isabel Aves. Edward was the Government Assessor for Lands and Improvements. The Aves family lived in Quesnel for many years. Isabel and Edward moved from Quesnel when Edward retired from his position as Government Assessor. A short time later in 1940 they returned to the community and back into this house. Their son Radford Aves, who grew up in Quesnel, was a private in the Canadian Army. He served overseas in Italy with the Seaforth Highlanders. In 1944, at the age of 19, Radford was killed in action.
The character-defining elements of Aves House include:
- an appealing addition to the streetscape;
- a large one-and-a-half storey wood frame building;
- a central chimney and covered entrance with pediment;
- dormers and shutters on the dormer windows;
- a wood clad exterior;
- a steeply pitched roof;
- its square form with addition on south side;
- a symmetrical façade.