Trueman House is a single storey wood frame house built in 1935 located on the west side of Vaughan Street in North Quesnel, BC. The historic place includes the building and the parcel of land it occupies.
Trueman House is located in North Quesnel which is an older residential neighbourhood in the city. Over the years, major renovations have occurred, however the house supports the other buildings on the street that have experienced change. While not in its original form, the house is a physical reminder of the historical association to the people who shaped the development of Quesnel. The house was built by local contractor C. E. Markle in 1935 who also built rental houses for Carlotta and John Lazzarin.
The house is named for Fred and Marjorie (Jones) Trueman. Fred was from England who served in the Cheshire Regiment during WWI. He came to Quesnel in 1921 and worked on Yorkston Ranch until he was employed with the Department of Public Works. Fred worked on the bridges and highways in the area for thirty years. He also worked on the construction of the Fraser River Bridge which was the first bridge in Quesnel. The bridge was completed in 1929 and was used for all types of traffic. In 1971, the bridge became a pedestrian bridge when the double-lane Moffat Bridge was opened. Fred married Marjorie in 1935 and they moved into this house. Fred and Marjorie are recognized for their contribution to the development of the community with streets named in their honour.
The character-defining elements of Trueman House include:
- wood frame construction;
- gable roof;
- rectangular form.