There is an identified discrepancy between the housing stock in the region and the type of housing that is in demand. Reports over the past several years have suggested that the housing stock is primarily large single family homes and buildings that are in a state of significant disrepair. There is also a reported demand for smaller homes and properties across a number of demographics.
The City of Quesnel (City) in partnership with the Cariboo Regional District (CRD) have hired Urbanics Consultants Ltd to complete a comprehensive North Cariboo Housing Needs Assessment, Gap Analysis and Action Plan.
A select committee has been formed to guide Urbanics Consultants Ltd. in the completion of this work. The committee is made up of several community stakeholders, political leaders, City and CRD staff.
We intend to ask and answer two basic questions:
- Do we have the housing supply people are looking for in our community?
- What do we need to do to make our housing supply fit the demand?
At the end of this project we will have the following:
- Current housing availability, suitability, and affordability across the entire housing continuum from basic shelter to the availability of high-end real estate.
- Current data on what type of housing is needed now.
- Actions that will help to increase the desirability of the community through changing our housing supply.
- New policies and initiatives that will help supply the appropriate housing for the changing demands in our community, both urban and rural.
- Project kick off with steering committee and consultants. - March
- Draft needs assessment and gap analysis – June
- Final needs assessment and gap analysis presentation – August
- Presentation of Action plan - September
Housing Needs Survey
Help us determine housing needs in the City of Quesnel and North Cariboo Region!
If you have any questions or concerns related to the survey, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Sophee Payne, Urban Planner at Urbanics Consultants Ltd. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
March 26, 2019 - Presentation
May 1, 2019 - Status Report
May 31, 2019 - Status Report
June 17, 2019 - First Draft Findings: Housing Assessment and Gap Analysis