There are a variety of incentives available for businesses seeking to grow and improve their business in Quesnel.
Façade improvement projects in Development Permit Areas of the City (see map below) may be eligible for 50% reimbursement of the project cost, up to a maximum of $5,000 per project.
- You must be either the property owner or business owner (if the applicant is the business owner, the property owner must approve the application in writing and confirm that all improvements are to be paid for by the applicant);
- All property taxes pertaining to the property are fully paid and current;
- There must be a current, valid business license for the property (unless otherwise exempt);
- There must be no stop work orders, outstanding building permits, or outstanding development permit conditions; and
- You have not received a previous grant under this program for the subject property for a different project.
- Residential homes located in the designated commercial area are not eligible, except if the home is commercially zoned and has a storefront;
- Municipally owned buildings (even if they have business tenants); and
- Properties outside the specified area (as defined inthe eligible properties map).
Eligible Façade Improvements
Eligible improvements may consist of but are not limited to:
- Exterior lighting (fixtures, but not bulb replacement)
- Exterior architectural features
- Exterior surfaces and details (decorative details, moldings, trims etc.)
- Windows (only if part of larger enhancements, no stand-alone window replacement)
- New siding
- Façade painting
- Entrances and doorways (if part of larger enhancements)
- Signage (affixed to the building)
- Permanent fixtures (ie. mounted planters, benches, patios)
Ineligible Façade Improvements
The following improvements are ineligible:
- Routine maintenance
- Structural repairs
- Non-permanent fixtures (benches, planters, patios, patio heaters etc.)
- Wheelchair ramps
- Interior improvements
- Any improvements not visible from the public right of way
- Construction of additions, accessory buildings or new buildings
- Any improvements that have been started prior to application approval
Commercial properties within the Downtown Core, West Quesnel, South Quesnel Highway, or North Quesnel Highway Development Permit Areas are eligible. Boundaries for these areas can be viewed on the Eligible Properties Map.
Eligible applicants should review the full Program Guidelines and submit a grant application (including high quality before photos, cost estimates, design drawings; and if applicable, approval letter from owner) for Planning staff to review and score.
If approved, the building/business owner proceeds with renovations in accordance with the renovation, obtaining permits as needed, and retaining all receipts of eligible costs.
Once complete, all documentation must be submitted prior to the deadline in order to receive funds, including all verification of expenditures, high quality after photos (same perspective as before photos), and testimonial regarding the economic impact/project benefit.
The property/business owner then receives reimbursement.
Aimed at encouraging investment by heavy industry, the Revitalization Tax Exemption applies to major investment in specific industrial zones.
Construction, renovation, or improvements that will increase the assessed value by $16 million dollars are eligible for this exemption on properties in Class 4 (Major Industrial) and certain Class 6 areas.
The amount of the exemption will be calculated based on the difference between the base amount prior to improvements, and the full assessment following improvements. The maximum term is five years, plus one single renewal for an additional five years.
Interested parties are encouraged to review the full bylaw and to discuss their project with the Corporate Officer. The application will be made available through the Corporate Officer for appropriate projects.
In order to encourage capital investment at the Quesnel Regional Airport and create additional permanent employment in the community, a tax exemption may be available for light industrial or commercial development.
Projects on airport land that, upon completion, increase the assessed value of the land by at least $100,000.
The amount of a revitalization exemption from municipal property value taxes is as follows:
Year 1: 100% of the increased assessed value;
Year 2: 80% of the increased assessed value;
Year 3: 60% of the increased assessed value;
Year 4: 40% of the increased assessed value;
Year 5: 20% of the increased assessed value.
This program is intended to provide incentives for the development of multi-family housing units that improve accessibility as well as meet set design and livability standards.
Incentives may also be provided for affordable housing units and/or developments that are of low environmental impact if they first meet the requirements of the tax exemption program.
In order to be eligible, projects must include 3 or more attached units and must meet the requirements below:
5 or 10 year tax exemption
- Minimum construction value of $300,000
- 50% of dwellings must meet the adaptable housing standards
- Individual units must include balconies or access to a shared green space
- At least 3 of 4 exterior design standards must be met
Waiver of DCCs for non-profit housing units
- All of eligibility requirements for the 5 or 10 year tax exemption must be met
- DCCs are waived for individual dwellings that are managed by non-profits where the property owner enters into a convenant with the City restricting the tenure to non-profit houseing for the period of tax exemption permitted
Reduced DCCs for low environmental impact
- All of the eligibility requirements for the 5 or 10 year tax exemption must be met
- Minimum density of 50 dwellings per hectare
- Low flow fixtures throughout the building
- Water efficient landscaping or xeriscapting
Annual tax exemption = (Post development AVI - Pre-development AVI) x tax rate on municipal portion of taxes/1000
100% exemption on the municipal portion of taxes due on the increase in the assessed value of improvements over the previous year.
Non-market housing required for non-profit organizations' registered under the Society Act. Non-market housing means affordable housing developed with government assistance, which may or may not include ongoing subsidy, and which rents or sells for below market value, at amounts affordable to low-income individuals.
- Located in the Primary and Secondary Growth Area designated on Schedules A-1 and A-2 to this bylaw; (required)
- Meets a minimum residential density of 50 dwellings per hectare;
- Comprised of water efficient landscaping or xeriscaping; and,
- The entire building contains low flow fixtures.
The project may replace one of the requirements in 2) to 4) of this definition with another unique or innovative environmentally sustainable feature, to the satisfaction of the Director (this could include retaining mature or existing trees on site, incorporating urban agriculture into the site design, etc.).
Housing that has been designed to easily accommodate future renovations to improve accessibility. Adaptable Housing allows people to “age in place” and includes features such as a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom on the main floor; wider hallways and doors; lever-type door hardware; and blocking in bathroom walls to accommodate future grab bars (see Adaptable Housing Design Standards handout).
At least three of the four following design standards must be met:
- Exposed wood is included as a major or minor design feature (heavy timber, manufactured products such as glulams, or others).
- Use of a variety of exterior materials; preference is given to wood, stone, brick, concrete (e.g. hardie plank), metal and glass.
- Development that creates pedestrian-friendly street frontages by incorporating design features that connect the building frontages to the street (i.e. windows, doorways, decks, paths to the street, landscaping along the street, etc.).
- Design includes varied and interesting facades, including a variety of roof lines, roof cover over entry points, balconies and porches.