Buying your first home is a major financial decision. For most first time homeowners, it will be the most expensive undertaking in their life so far. People save money for years to afford a reasonable down payment. Luckily, the Government of Canada and the Government of British Columbia offer a variety of programs and grant opportunities to help ease the financial strain and to encourage Canadians to consider homeownership. There are also tax deferments and homeowner grants to help reduce property taxes or complete accessible home renovations based on your household needs. The following is an overview of the Contents in the Homeowner Grants document created by the City of Quesnel:
- First-Time Home Buyer Incentive
- First-Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit
- Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP)
- GST/HST New Housing Rebate
British Columbia Programs
- First Time Home Buyers’ Program
- Newly Built Home Exemption
- Home Owner Grant
- Home Renovation Tax Credit for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities
- Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI)
- Defer your Property Taxes
The Homeowner Grants Guide provides more detailed descriptions of the available grants, eligibility, and how to apply.
For more information on the British Columbia Homeowner Grants for property taxes, visit the City’s Home Owner Grants page.